Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Countdown Begins!

As I was looking for ways to help the girls countdown the time until Daddy will return from his deployment, I came across several ideas. Of course you could put X's on a calendar, but that didn't sound like much fun, plus they don't have a very good concept of time. Another idea was to make a paper chain with one link for everyday that the person will be gone. The idea is that you would take one of the paper chain links off each day and write what you did that day on the piece of paper and mail it to your loved one. The paper chain will help you countdown and keep your loved one informed about what is happening at home while they are away. I liked the idea of the paper chain, but I didn't want to have a 225 link long paper chain in my house. As most of you know, I don't do well with clutter. :) Plus we weren't sure that we would be able to send Clay the paper links, so I decided on this deployment countdown idea instead.

We made a "Daddy's Deployment Countdown Jar" filled with chocolate hugs and kisses. The girls will each get to pick one hug or kiss from the jar for every day that Daddy is away. It isn't the same as getting a real hug and kiss from Daddy each day, but it will have to due for now.

4 comments:

Iturblog said...

Great idea! Are there really 450 hugs and kisses in that jar?

Rabens Family said...

There really are 450 hugs and kisses in the jar. It is one of those HUGE glass jars from Walmart. I should have taken a picture of it next to something, so that you could get an idea of how big it is.

Iturblog said...

Ok, I believe you. Great idea...I just hope he doesn't get delayed coming home like Danny did every time (but then, he's not a part of such a....unique squadron as Danny was!). You just may have to add a few more hugs and kisses in there towards the end!

Anonymous said...

How did you do the sticker part? I don't have a printer but this is exactly what I have been wanting to do for my little girls daddy jar