Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Day Madison Was Born!

Baby GIRL!: Madison Elizabeth Rabens
Parents: Clay and Brittney Rabens
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Time: 5:55 a.m.
Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz.
Height: 20 inches

As many of you know, the delivery did not go as I would have planned. For those of you that do not know the details, I will do my best to give a brief summary of what happened. Last Sunday after church we went to the hospital because I was experiencing some bleeding. After an exam they sent me home. I had my next OB appointment on Monday. I went in for my routine appointment and they sent me back upstairs to Labor and Delivery since the bleeding had not stopped. Due to favorable condition with my cervix they admitted me and planned to use pitocin to induce labor. However by the time we were checked in, I was in active labor without the drugs. I seemed to dilate pretty rapidly and was ready to push. After pushing for 3 and a half hours, we decided that a c-section was going to be the best option. The baby was just too big and I was just too exhausted. After my c-section we saw our beautiful baby GIRL! That was the first of many surprises. I still can't believe that she is a girl. They stitched me up and returned me to the labor and delivery room. I began getting pale and extremely light headed. I do not remember much of anything after that point. I was in surgery from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm on Tuesday. From what I understand my uterus would not contract and therefore was causing me to bleed out. The Lord directed the doctor's hands as they tried a variety of things to stop the bleeding. After getting my blood supply replenished 3 times, getting pumped with all new fluids, and having my uterus removed, the doctor's were able to stabilize me. If you have technical medical questions, Clay would be more than happy to answer them, but I do not understand it all well enough to explain it. All I know is that I have had a sick uterus and it is a miracle that I was able to get pregnant, carry baby Madison to term, and deliver her. God's hand is evident in every aspect of this experience. I am excited to see what God has planned for my miracle baby. God's provision during this past week has been amazing. My mother flew into town last Saturday and had already planned on staying at least a month to help. Clay had his week break from school and could spend every minute of everyday with us. He did not have the distraction of dealing with medical school on top of everything else. Clay's brother was able to fly in immediately and was kind enough to bring some girl clothes since they have a daughter that is 19 months old. Clay's parents arrived on Friday and have stayed several days to help out. The doctors and nurses were amazing! They were praying for us and did everything they could to help us understand what was happening. I was amazed by the relationships that we made. I could feel their genuine care and concern for me and the baby. After the surgery I spent two days in ICU. It was a humbling experience. I had two inquired marines on either side of me that were just in from overseas. We get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget that their are men and women fighting for our freedoms overseas. I would encourage you to pray for these men and women and their families. I was the only person they had ever had in ICU with a breast pump. I began pumping so that when I was reunited with Madison, I would be ready to breastfeed. She was not allowed to be in ICU, so I had to wait until I was back up on labor and delivery to see her again. That was the longest time ever. Finally, I was released from ICU on Thursday morning at 11:00 am. I then got to hold my beautiful baby girl for the first time. I am so grateful for the nurses though, because they were holding and snuggling my baby for the first few days of her life when I was unable too. I spent the next few days recovering. It is going to be a long recovery process, but God is good and he continues to heal me everyday. Because Clay is a medical student, they made some exceptions and sent me home with a drain still in my incision. I am so grateful to be home. It is going to be much easier to recover in the comforts of your own home. I can not begin to tell you how grateful I am for all of your prayers. God heard our prayers and saved my life. Thank you for your continued prayers. I wish that I could visit with each one of you personally and thank you right now, however I am still very weak. Please feel free to call me or email me though.


Madison Elizabeth Rabens!

Proud Daddy is calling everyone to tell them that we have a beautiful, healthy baby GIRL!

Grandma is admiring her first grandaughter!

The first time that I got to hold Madison!

Three generations!

No comments: